The page Mongolian variant forms has been significantly changed and moved to a new location. The main changes include the following:
- The ‘NP’ column is now the ‘DS01’ column. It shows the shapes discussed by the mongolian experts on the firstname.lastname@example.org list with a view to updating and standardising the results of using Unicode variants. The column reflects the state of that document as of 25 Nov 2016. Expected updates to the document are shown using “[current] ≫ [expected]”. As those and other changes are made to DS01 I will update this variant comparison page.
- I added a column for L2/16-309 (the output of the Hohot discussions) as of 26 Oct 2016. Differences between DS01 and L2/16-309 are all highlighted for quick reference.
- I also added a column for the Unicode Standard v9 chart data, and again highlighted differences from DS01 or L2/16-309. To see this column, click on the vertical blue bar, bottom right, then set Hidden Columns to Show.
- Showing the hidden columns also shows a usage column and a notes
column (information in both cases taken from L2/16-309).
- All the font information has been rechecked, and some bugs fixed.
- Other editorial changes include the hiding of former notes, and the
simplification and update of the page intro.
Another significant development is the creation of a Shape Index. That document lists all shapes used in the page Mongolian Variants, and enables you to jump to the appropriate table in that page so that you can see how it’s used.
The classification used is not intended to be etymologically or philosophically pure. It is intended as a simple practical tool to help locate shapes, and one that also works for novices.
I hope these changes will help us identify and resolve the remaining differences between the documents. I will update these pages as the source documents change (please advise me when new versions are developed). Of course, comments are welcome.
If you want to join the discussion about Mongolian variants you could join this mailing list. (Hit the subscribe link.)