If you use my Unicode character pickers, you may have noticed some changes recently. I’ve moved several pickers on to version 14. Most of the noticeable changes are in the location and styling of elements on the UI – the features remain pretty much unchanged.

Pages have acquired a header at the top (which is typically hidden), that provides links to related pages, and integrates the style into that of the rest of the site. What you don’t see is a large effort to tidy the code base and style sheets.

So far, I have changed the following: Arabic block, Armenian, Balinese, Bengali, Khmer, IPA, Lao, Mongolian, Myanmar, and Tibetan.

I will convert more as and when I get time.

However, in parallel, I have already made a start on version 15, which is a significant rewrite. Gone are the graphics, to be replaced by characters and webfonts. This makes a huge improvement to the loading time of the page. I’m also hoping to introduce more automated transcription methods, and simpler shape matching approaches.

Some of the pickers I already upgraded to version 14 have mechanisms for transcription and shape-based identification that took a huge effort to create, and will take a substantial effort to upgrade to version 15. So they may stay as they are for a while. However, easier to handle and new pickers will move to the new format.

Actually, I already made a start with Gurmukhi v15, which yanks that picker out of the stone-age and into the future. There’s also a new picker for the Uighur language that uses v15 technology. I’ll write separate blogs about those.

 

[By the way, if you are viewing the pickers on a mobile device such as an iPad, don’t forget to turn Autofocus off (click on ‘more controls’ to find the switch). This will stop the onscreen keyboard popping up, annoyingly, each time you try to tap on a character.]