>> Use it !
This latest picker includes all characters in the Unicode Lao block, plus a few punctuation characters. There are several alternative views.
Alphabetic By default, characters are arranged by groups, and consonants and vowels are listed in alphabetic order. Digits are in keypad order. Similar characters are highlighted by default, but this can be switched off using the ‘Hint’ selector.
Tone marks and combining vowels are reordered automatically so that vowels come first in the output character sequence.
Phonic Characters are grouped and ordered by sound. I set this up for myself to enter Lao text that I wanted to copy that was accompanied by a transcription. Initial consonants are followed by tones and consonants that come second in a cluster, then vowels. Alternatives with the same sound are separated by a red dot. Consonants that have different sounds when word final are also listed under those sounds. (Dropped aspiration is not considered significant.)
Dashes representing consonants indicate which vowels are non-final or occur before the consonant. Where a vowel has a part that comes before a consonant, a single click should arrange the parts properly. This behaviour speeds up typing. It may not be so intuitive to people familiar with Lao, however, since it makes Lao behave like Khmer and Indic scripts.
You should add any tone mark before the vowel and the picker will automatically reorder characters as needed. If you want to wrap text around a combination of two syllable-initial characters, type the characters then click on ‘flag as cluster’ before clicking on the tone mark or vowel.
Two old vowel spellings are only displayed if you click on the grey arrow, top right.
Font grid Shows characters in Unicode order, using whatever font is specified in the Font list or Custom font input fields. This allows comparison of fonts (especially useful in IE, which shows if a glyph is missing from a font).
You can start up directly in one of the above views by appending the following to your URI: ?view=, followed by one of, respectively,
>> See what it can do !
>> Use it !
While we await Unicode 5.1, here is another update to UniView that provides a bunch of additional useful features and fixes a few bugs.
- Changed the custom range input to a single field that will accept various range formats. This makes it easier to cut and paste or drag and drop ranges into the input field. The Custom range field will accept various formats.
- The numbers must be in hexadecimal form and separated by a colon (the default), a hyphen, one or more spaces, or one or more periods. There must be only two numbers. The numbers can be in the following formats: 1234, ሴ, Ӓ, \u1234, U+1234. The actual number of hex digits can be between 1 and 6.
- Added the ability to select whether Search looks at any combination of character names only, other parts of a record in the Unicode database, or the other character description information, and added a message to say how many characters were matched.
- Added the ability to search within the range specified in the field entitled Range.
- Added the ability to list characters with a given General or Bidirectional property (within a specified range or not).
- Added an AJAX link to my database of information about Unicode characters. If enabled, using the DB checkbox, this automatically retrieves any available data for a character when information about that character is displayed in the lower right panel. You can also specify that UniView should open with that set as the default using
database=on in the URI used to call UniView.
- Because of the previous improvement, I removed the ability to link in a file of information about characters. (The information in the files was a copy of the information in the database.)
- Moved the Code point(s) and Cut & paste fields lower, to make them easier to use.
- Fixed a bug that was preventing the Search function finding characters in the Basic Latin block.
- Bugfix: a range like 0036:0067 will always show full rows now; a range with start higher than end will show alert.
- Added reference to decodeunicode when graphics are displayed in left column
- Bugfix: search parameter won’t break when graphics etc toggled
- You can now specify windowHeight parameter at startup in the URI’s query string.
Please report any bugs to me, and don’t forget to refresh any UniView files in your cache before using the new version.