This new picker includes all the characters in the Unicode Myanmar block.
The default shows all characters as images due to the rarity of Malayalam fonts. Consonants are mostly in a typical articulatory arrangement, vowels are aligned with vowel signs, and digits are in keypad order. Hinting is implemented for visually similar glyphs.
I don’t know a lot about Myanmar yet, so any suggestions for improving the layout are welcome. (Noting that this is supposed to help recognition of characters by people who are new to the script.)
Version 4.1.0b is a minor update, but adds some useful functionality.
- Provided a way to start up UniView with a particular block and/or character displayed as a table in the lower panels. This should be particularly useful for pointing a person to a particular Unicode block or character in a URI. For example, if you wanted to point someone to UniView so that they immediately find the Greek and Coptic block, and a description of U+0E33: THAI CHARACTER SARA AM, you could put the following link in your email or page: http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/?block=greek-and-coptic&char=0e33
- Added a link to the decodeUnicode wiki for each character that is displayed in the right-hand panel. This is a wiki where people can contribute information about Unicode blocks and characters. It is developed at the Department of Design at the University of Applied Sciences in Mainz. “The project is supported by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and has the objectives of creating a basis for fundamental typographic research and facilitating a textual approach to the characters of the world for all computer users.”
- Fixed a couple of minor bugs in the CSS.
Just produced version 2.0 with the following changes:
- Added some glyphs that were missing by comparing with the information at the IPA home page.
- Added image/character switch, but changed it so that combining characters are only ever shown as images.
- Combining graphics are now distinguished by a pale blue background.
- Added some links and information to the bottom of the page.
The French version has not been updated.